[mythtv-users] LIRC and PVR 150/250 (still struggling)

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 20:46:09 UTC 2006

On 06/07/06, Scott Johnson <scott-mythtv at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> The devices are there...
>
> # ll /dev/lirc*
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     5 Jul  4 15:23 /dev/lirc -> lirc0
> crwxrwxrwx  1 root root 61, 0 Jul  4 15:23 /dev/lirc0
> crwxrwxrwx  1 root root 61, 1 Jul  4 15:23 /dev/lirc1
> srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Jul  5 23:40 /dev/lircd

That's a good sign. On FC4, devices are normally created by udev when
the appropriate modules are loaded. What does

# lsmod |grep "lirc"

give?

> I'm using Fedora Core 4 and I have followed Jarod's guide regarding LIRC
> and /etc/modprobe.conf

<snip>

> I've read this post
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2004-April/040219.html
> and it looks like I have the same or similar problem: the installed LIRC
> was not compiled for my Hauppauge card.
> Note that lirc_i2c is not in the list below.
>
> # /usr/sbin/lircd --driver=help

LIRC kernel modules use the 'default' driver, and so are not listed. I
get the same output on my system (using lirc_serial) and this is also
noted on the LIRC.org site.

For interest, I'm using 2.6.16-1.2111_FC4 with the following RPMs installed:

lirc-kmdl-2.6.16-1.2111_FC4-0.8.1-cvs20060325_58.rhfc4.at
lirc-lib-devel-0.8.1-cvs20060325_58.rhfc4.at
lirc-lib-0.8.1-cvs20060325_58.rhfc4.at
lirc-0.8.1-cvs20060325_58.rhfc4.at
lirc-devices-0.7.0-1.rhfc4.at

You can check whether you have kernel modules installed for the
current running kernel with:

# find /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ -name lirc*.ko

(You may need to run a depmod after they are freshly installed to
update module dependencies)

> Also, someone will say that I'm not using the correct devices when doing
> IRRECORD but I've been using the option --device=/dev/lirc0 or
> --device=/dev/lirc1  to try both cards.   I always point the remote at
> both gray IR receivers.

Apart from having the correct modules loaded, the most important thing
to have correctly configured is the device being used. If you are
running irrecord, you do _NOT_ want lircd running. When running irw,
you do.

You can install the correct Hauppauge remotes definition file from
either the remotes archive file from the LIRC site or (quicker) from
LIRC CVS (mind the wrapping):

http://lirc.cvs.sourceforge.net/lirc/lirc/remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge?view=markup

This now becomes your /etc/lircd.conf file.

You also need to ensure that lircd is starting with the correct
device. On FC4 you normally put any run-time options for lircd in
/etc/sysconfig/lircd (i.e. which device to use, however when using
only 1 kernel module I don't believe you need to pass that.).

With lircd using the correct device, irw should now just work, using
the key names from the newly installed lircd.conf.

> # tail /var/log/messages
> Jul 6 blah blah lircd-0.8.1-CVS[15256] : accepted new client on /dev/lircd
> Jul 6 blah blah lircd-0.8.1-CVS[15256] : removed client

This is a good sign as it shows something is being received (and
you're nearly there). Don't give up yet!

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/