[mythtv-users] MythTV Flicker Problem?

Matt Mencel techminer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 22:48:29 UTC 2006

Robert Johnston wrote:

On 7/5/06, Matt Mencel <techminer at gmail.com> <techminer at gmail.com> wrote:

Anyone else seeing a flickering problem with their MythTV setup?

I upgraded to FC5 in late May, and recently(this past week) updated to the
2.6.17-1.2139 kernel, ivtv 0.7.115, and MythTV 0.19-129.

This seems to happen no matter what channel I'm watching.  The image will
flicker one or more times, long enough to just catch a glimpse of the
desktop(maybe a frame or 3) behind the video that is playing, and then play
along for a few more seconds.  Some days it seems worse than others, but
that could just be the way I perceive it at different times, I can't prove
that as of yet.  It was also happening on previous kernel versions, but only

since I've upgraded to FC5.  I keep thinking the next update or patch will
make it go away, but I've been waiting a while and my 10 year old is getting

on my nerves about it.  Guess it's time to figure it out.

Graphics card? Screen Res? XRandR settings? Driver version?

Ah...sorry it was late and I wasn't thinking...  :)

NVidia (Abit) GeForce4 MX420 I think with the 8762 driver.  Screen
resolution is 1024x768, but MythTV runs in the default 720x480 TV mode.  Not
sure exactly what you mean by XandR settings.

I'm using the TV out on a PVR-350 to send the signal to my TV.  Anything
else I'm forgetting ot mention?

Thanks,
Matt