[mythtv-users] Raid Performance Tweaking

Debabrata Banerjee davatar at comcast.net
Thu Jul 6 22:50:24 UTC 2006

RAID 5 sequential writes are not slower, they are almost as fast as a RAID
0. RAID5 random writes are slow, but still not slower than a single disk
unless you're running like 1 byte random IO's.

MythTV only does sequential writes. It will be blazingly fast regardless of
what chunk size you use.

Napkin calculations 19.2Mbits * 2 + 8Mbits = 4 Megabytes per second. If you
can't do this you have other problems Even if you suppose that RAID 5 writes
are much slower than even a single disk.

I have an HD tuner, an MPEG 2 encoder, and a software encoder at 4-8Mbits on
a single 5400 rpm disk and I'm not even close to having disk problems. I can
even move files on and off the disk while encoding.. I've even done a pvmove
to another disk while encoding just for kicks.. No issues.

You probably have other problems. PCI bus contention, for example. Very high
CPU usage during HD playback, etc. Put the backend or frontend in another
machine and see what happens.

Personally every encoder I have is in a separate PCI bus. The master backend
NIC is in another PCI bus. None of the encoder chips play well with other
PCI cards. You just end up with an unstable machine.