[mythtv-users] 350TV out second Monitor

Dan Wilga mythtv-users at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Jul 7 19:48:42 UTC 2006

At 10:24 AM -0400 7/7/06, jphughes at optonline.net wrote:
>I have tired modifying the xorg file using Jarrod's initial
>information and adding a second monitor, device and screen, without
>success.

I asked about this some time ago, and got the response that it wasn't
possible. (X locks up when I try; you didn't say what happens to you,
so I'd be interested to know if it's any different.)

What I do instead is run two separate instances of X, and use a
different "ServerLayout" section in xorg.conf for each. Then, when
staring X, I pass the name of this layout using the "-layout"
parameter and a different display number like ":1". For example:

   startx -- :1 -layout AlternateLayout

I actually have this automated in a script that will switch between
the two setups via a remote keypress detected by LIRC.