[mythtv-users] OT -- Dream FE hardware coming soon?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 00:15:15 UTC 2006

Just saw this article on a new Via chipset that may be the key to
building small, efficient and quiet frontends.

There are a lot of claims in the short piece about what this chip can
do, and I am aware of problems with Myth and Via chipsets in the past.

Here's hoping that this thing can do what they claim, and while
running Linux. If so, then the truly silent, truly inconspicuous,
truly beautiful FE for the livingroom may well be within grasp.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Via or linuxdevices.com
(and will not likely buy this until the second or third generation,
when it's affordable).

FTFA:

Via says its "single-chip" chipset targeting UMPCs (ultra-mobile PCs),
ultra-small notebooks, and other portable devices will ship in Q3. The
VX700 combines north- and south-bridge functions into a single
35mm-square chip that mates with Via's x86-compatible C7-M and C7-M
ULV (ultra-low voltage) processors. It supports Linux.

[...]

Additional touted features include:

    * UniChrome Pro II IGP core with 200MHz, 128-bit 2D/3D graphics

    * Chromotion Video Engine for MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and WMV9 acceleration

    * "DuoView+" dual-display technology

    * Supports up to 4GB of DDR SDRAM, or low power, high-bandwidth
DDR2 memory modules, including 32-bit DRAM modules for
size-constrained designs

    * 533MHz FSB (front-side bus)

    * Vinyl HD audio controller

    * I/O includes 2 x SATA II devices, 2 x PATA 133/100/66 (IDE)
devices, 6 x USB2.0 ports, and 4 x PCI slots

    * Multi-configuration LVDS/DVI transmitter for connection to LCD,
and CRT/HDTV interfaces