[mythtv-users] "Excellent" transcode isn't so excellent

Sage sage at gypsycaravan.com
Sat Jul 8 06:14:28 UTC 2006

I'm having problems with MythDVD's transcode feature, particularly on
the "excellent" setting:

1. Sound is not sync'd up correctly with the video; the video is
noticeably lagging behind.
2. Motion blur:  too much abrupt movement causes noticeable distortion
in the picture.

I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake), using the 0.19-fixed branch of
MythTV from SVN.  Output is handled by the Geforce 6150 TV-out on my
motherboard using the latest Nvidia drivers; I'm using Xine for video
playback.

If I use the "good" setting instead of "excellent," and turn on
deinterlacing in Xine, the motion blur goes away, but the sound is
still out of sync (turning deinterlacing on when playing back an
"excellent" rip causes blocking and is even more of a problem).  If I
rip using the "Perfect" setting, there are no problems at all with
playback.

Is anyone else seeing these problems?  I should note that I have seen
these same problems on a completely different hardware setup (PVR-350
TV-out), running the same software.  I have also copied the ripped
video files over to various other computers running Mac and Windows
operating systems and they all have the same problem, so I'm fairly
certain the trouble is in the rip rather than in the playback.