[mythtv-users] HDTV Transcode Video - keep audio

Richard Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Sat Jul 8 14:30:23 UTC 2006

I have a HDTV capture card (uses DVB drivers), and I'm mainly interested
in using it for the benefit of the AC3 surround (plus the digital TV
quality).  I don't have any high-def TVs, so the extra video bandwidth
is just a waste of space.  Additionally, playback is marginal at best on
an EPIA system (my front end).

Is there any easy to either directly downsample the recorded video
stream to 480p, or (not as nice) transcode it to 480p WHILE KEEPING THE
AUDIO STREAM IN AC3?

It looks like transcoding to MPEG-4 and dropping the resolution is
pretty straightforward.  However, my only audio options are uncompressed
or MP3, and neither is probably acceptable (I'm guessing uncompressed
with just turn it into a 2-channel wav file).  Is there an easy way to
configure this, or alternatively is there at least an automatic way to
accomplish this using user-jobs or a cron job on the backend?

It seems like it should be reasonably straightforward to have the
transcoder do an audio pass-through.