[mythtv-users] setting up IR Blaster

Nishant Limbachia tuxrules at ameritech.net
Sat Jul 8 16:05:06 UTC 2006

Hi Raj,

I am not sure if you have installed lirc but if you haven't then you
should because irxevent and many other small utilities come with it.
Check out www.lirc.org for more details.

You can start lircd and lircmd by calling them at boot time.  I call
them from within rc.local script (this is again slackware's related so
you may have something else...can't be specific as I have hardly used
SuSE).  lircd.conf file contains the key mappings for your remote (in my
case that is the Hauppauge remote that came with PVR-350).  lirc.org
already has that files prepared so you can just download and copy that
into your lircd.conf.  lircmd.conf is also copied verbatim and it
works.  lircrc file is the one that you would have to make by hand.
This file can be configured based on key commands (from mythtv) you can
want to execute using the remote.  As a starting point you can use Jarod
Wilson's (http://wilsonet.com) site, which is an excellent resource for
mythtv setup.

You also need to download and append lircd.conf with the remote file for
Dish Network remote...this is available from
www.lirc.org/remotes/dishnet/.  I used SAT_301 remote file.  Apart from
that you need to modify the script for channel changing (that comes with
mythtv source...in contrib directory) and adjust it to something like
this.  This script was taken and modified according to instructions from
http://www.eggshellskull.com/lirc/blaster/index.php

##########
#!/bin/sh

REMOTE_NAME=SAT_301

for digit in $(echo $1 | sed -e 's/./& /g'); do
irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $digit
sleep 0.4
done
irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME select
#########

You can then make this script executable and enter it in the
mythtv-setup.  Also you would need irblaster if you want to change
channels automatically.  I am using one from www.irblaster.info.  It
works great!!!!

Here's my rc.local where I call both lircd and lircmd.  I have both
lirc_i2c driver and lirc_serial (for automatic channel changing) driver
installed.

echo "Linux Infrared Remote Control daemon"
/usr/local/sbin/lircd --device=/dev/lirc0 --output=/dev/lircd
/etc/lircd.conf --pidfile=/var/run/lircd.pid

echo "Linux Infrared Remote Control daemon --- serial"
/usr/local/sbin/lircd --device=/dev/lirc1 --output=/dev/lircd1
--pidfile=/var/run/lircd1.pid

echo "Linux Infrared Remote Control mouse daemon"
/usr/local/sbin/lircmd

You can also find out changes to xorg.org file that you need to make for
lircmd from lirc.org site.

-Nishant