[mythtv-users] Kernel Panic - SCSI & IDE

Bruce Nordstrand brucen at ksl.com.au
Sat Jul 8 17:09:22 UTC 2006

Hi all

before I retry an install on my machine I have to ask if this will work.
I have spent the last 2 days trying various flavors of Myth on my
proof-of-concept box, all failing in various ways. I have a sneaking
suspicion I cannot do want I want to do, so I have finally given in and
have to ask you guys.

My machine is an IBM eSeries x200 server that has a 29160LP Adaptec SCSI
card with an IBM ST31840LW 18GB 160Mbs 10,000 RPM SCSI drive in it
(sda). The machine is a PIII 933Mhz with 384Mb ram (to be upgraded to
more later on....maybe). I added a 40GB 7200rpm Segate Barracuda drive
(hda) along with a DVD burner (hdb).

So far I have been unsuccessful at installing KnoppMyth which just
didn't want to work with this configuration at all. I have just finished
installing a Fedora Core 4 version and while it boots from the SCSI
drive, it fails with a kernel panic complaining about the LVM I created.

During setup I created sda1 as /boot (1GB - ext3), sda2 as swap (1GB),
sda3 as / (16GB - ext3). The entire IDE drive was allocated to an LVM
group and then 2 virtual partitions were created within that group for
/video (18GB) and /music (19GB). I set the install to write the MBR to
sda after changing the order of sda and hda to make sure sda was the
"first" drive.

I did it this way so I can add bigger IDE drives later on (can't afford
any more SCSI drives!).

The FC4 install went fine and rebooted. That's when things went pear
shaped. After starting Linux it dies with a kernel panic. The message
is: not synching VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,1).

Does anyone know what this means and , better still, know if I can fix
it? Actually anything at all would help!

Ever hopeful I can get this machine to work as is...

Cheers
Bruce