[mythtv-users] Improving video quality - new tuner or HD cable box?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat Jul 8 23:00:37 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 16:39 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2006, at 4:33 PM, Owen Mehegan wrote:
> > I guess my other option is to just get a better tuner card. Maybe a
> > PVR-150? 250? 500? I don't really know anything about the Hauppage
> > cards.
> > Any suggestions would be much appreciated :-)
> I use PVR-150s and find the quality of SD material adequate for
> display on a 32" LCD, and I'm probably pickier than most. Plus the
> added advantage of probably the best-supported cards in the Myth world.

The PVR-250 and 350 are better supported than the PVR-150/500.
It's not a MythTV issue, it's the drivers. To my knowledge the
PVR-150/500 do not yet support encoding closed captions in the
MPEG stream so that MythTV can display them later on.

Also having both a PVR-250 and a PVR-500, I find the quality of
the stream is significantly higher from the PVR-250. But I know
that there has been some work on this in the ivtv drivers, so
this may not be the case any more (I'm still using relatively
old drivers).

-- Daniel