[mythtv-users] possible p2p approach for mythtv information?

Aaron Harwood aharwood at aerosoul.com.au
Sun Jul 9 02:00:45 UTC 2006

On 09/07/2006, at 5:04 AM, Brad Templeton wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 05:18:38PM +1000, Aaron Harwood wrote:
>>> The problem is trust.  In this case, there are reasons for people to
>>> try to screw up the system.   TV networks don't want you skipping
>>> ads, they would be well motivated to insert peers that pass you
>>> "distilled" information from thousands of other users that's bogus.
>>> Or positive reviews of their tv shows telling you to watch them.
>>
>> They could do this to a centralized system as well I suppose, e.g.
>> using
>> a (privately funded) zombie army to distort the information.
>
> A central system can, more easily, use data only from trusted
> parties who
> have given consistently good data in the past.   It can do this via
> a very
> simple shared secret authentication.   New contributors don't get
> to affect
> the data until they have gone a few rounds.

A peer can do this too.

> Most importantly though, you can trust the aggregator itself.

No different to trusting a party who has given consistently good data
in the past.

>   Two levels
> of trust -- you trust your aggregating central server, it figures a
> way to
> decide which user inputs to trust.    A P2P system probably
> requires PKI and
> a web of trust.

PKI and web of trust is one way. But maybe not the only way; or perhaps
it emerges in any case.

>> Maybe the "copying 10% is okay" rule applies.
>
> There is no such rule.

Oh, I mean in Australia we have such a rule for photocopying; I'm not
sure
about broadcasts though. Still, the idea is there.

-a