[mythtv-users] Newbie setup questions

Nathan Lutchansky lutchann-mythtvusers at litech.org
Sun Jul 9 04:57:14 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 05:39:42PM -0700, Phil wrote:

> >> Bummer.  Thanks for the info.  I must admit surprise considering that
> >> NTSC-J and NTSC seem so darn close.
> >
> > I don't know why Plextor chose these particular Sony tuners.  They seem
> > quite limited, not to mention awkward to program.
> >
> >> I'm curious if you're speaking from personal experience.
> >
> > I maintain the GO7007 driver.  -Nathan
>
> Cool.  Sounds like I'm talking to the right guy.  :-)  Perhaps I can
> pepper you with two more questions.
>
> 1 - Assuming I decide on this Japanese Plextor, where might I find one
> in the US / Internet to begin messing around?
>
> 2 - Considering that I'm forced to use a USB / IEEE / or PCMCIA solution
> on my laptop, can you think of any options I should consider beyond this
> model?  [Your Sony comment wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement.]  Most
> of the supported hardware lists pertain to PCI options.

Honestly, I don't have an answer for either of those.  I really don't
know much about the consumer video hardware market, so there are
probably other people on this list who can give you more information
about what to buy and where to buy it.

Don't take my opinion of the Sony tuners as discouragement
though--there's nothing wrong with the video quality they produce.  I
just wish Plextor had gone with a more modern world-wide tuner that
maybe had some extras like I2S audio output.  -Nathan