[mythtv-users] cannot find tuner in mythtv

Richard Molby rmolby at cox.net
Sun Jul 9 23:56:45 UTC 2006

catfish wrote:

>>I'm following Jarod Wilson's Fedora MythTV documentation and I don't
>>quite understand a step... during the MythTVsetup where you setup the
>>tuner, is the tuner supposed to show up as a selection (as I am assuming
>>from the official docs), or do I need to specify the device name myself,
>>in which cae I have no idea what that may be, where do I find more info
>>on this is it's available in the docs...
>>

>Well you need to know what capture card you have, set it up in linux
>then setup the card in mythtv. Do you know what TV Card hardware you have?
>
>I have a pvr-350 so I'll use that as an example. In Jarod's guide
>section 10 is how to setup the capture card. With my card's tuner is on
>/dev/video0.
>
>I assume you are stuck on "2. Capture cards" (and have already done
>General). You would choose "(New capture card)", select the Card type
>(mine would be "MPEG-2 encoder card (PVR-x50, PVR-500)". The video
>device would be "/dev/video0" (either already there or you can type in
>what is needed) and choose the Default input needed from the list (Tuner 1).
>
>If you can let us know what hardware you have we can get you better
>directions or if I'm looking at the wrong part.

Thanks for the quick response...

Okay, I have a bt848 based card that I'm using to practice with... I
managed to get it to work via this part of the instructions:

QUOTE: ...script that appears to be of some use is ftvco, or Find TV
Card Options, which you can find here: http://www.mind.lu/~yg/ftvco/
<http://www.mind.lu/%7Eyg/ftvco/>. It'll ask you a few questions, then
try a number of combinations, which you can preview in xawtv. Chances
are, one of those combinations will work for your card, and then a file
is written out with the necessary contents to be placed into
/etc/modprobe.conf. ENDQUOTE

well, I pasted the info but for some reason the card isn't showing up in
mythTV as a selectable option... how do I go about finding out what
videoX device I need to type in?