[mythtv-users] IR Blaster without a serial connector?

John Johnson johnatl at mac.com
Tue Jul 11 20:19:25 UTC 2006

Chad wrote:

> I have a situation where I need to use an IR Blaster, but on this
> particular system, I don't have any serial connectors, but a quad pack
> of unused USB ones.  I was considering a Serial --> USB dongle,
> however, I was hoping a more elegant solution might pop up (plus I've
> heard these are sketchy in linux, with certain ones).  I have no more
> PCI blanks on my case, so I can't use the internal onboard serial
> connector either.

You don't /have/ to bring the serial connection out to a PCI I/O
connector. If you have a serial connector with a ribbon cable, just
snake the ribbon cable out the back (maybe between another PCI card and
the chassis, our a ventilation hole, etc.) and leaving it dangling. Then
you can connect your blaster to it. You could also get a nibbling tool
and cut a hole in the back of your case, with for the cable, or for the
connector.

Regards,
  JJ