[mythtv-users] wireless frontend?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jul 12 18:42:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 02:30:04PM -0400, Nelson Tang wrote:
> I'd like to add a data point to this discussion.  I'm using a backend
> over wireless (a pair of WRT54 routers running OpenWRT connected to
> each other).  I transcode my SD video down to MPEG4 and end up at
> roughly 750MB/hr, which is a little artifact-y but seldom is it
> distractingly so.  I've run as many as 3 frontends simulatenously (1
> wired to the "receiving" wireless router, 2 wireless) and have very
> nearly NO hiccups at all.  This is all on 802.11g and using the
> simple-to-make parabolic antenna reflectors found at
> http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html (the Ez-12
> antenna, which honestly took me about 15 minutes to print, glue, cut
> out, and fold).
>
> Before I used these reflectors, I would have problems getting even one
> frontend to play flawlessly, and I would have frequent disconnections
> (especially if someone started up the microwave).  Once I put these
> reflectors onto my wireless antennas, I honestly can't even remember
> having any hiccups at all during playback.  If you're thinking about
> using wireless, I highly recommend these reflectors to boost your
> signal - especially for my situation, where my backend is down in the
> basement and there's only one direction I need to radiate my wireless
> signal.
>
> --nelson

I'm impressed you got it going, but in truth, it strikes me that
with the troubles that often do happen in this case (each house and
environment is different) that it's really not _that_ hard or expensive to
put in wired ethernet, which will be hassle free, and also not suck up
all the bandwidth on your channel.

For those petrified of running wires through their walls or drilling holes,
you will find several companies that do inside wiring and cable installs
(they tend to work for the cable and phone companies as subcontractors
most of the time) but often they will run some ethernet wire for you for
a modest price like $60 -- less than the price of two WRT54G APs, certainly.

And then you'll have a wire not only capable of solid throughput for
your video and other purposes, but also capable of doing HDTV.   I think
it would be really pushing it to try to send 16 megabit HDTV over 802.11.