[mythtv-users] wireless frontend?

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 11:41:54 UTC 2006

On Thursday 13 July 2006 12:02 pm, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2006, at 4:35 AM, stan at stanandliz.net wrote:
> > Hello - Do what I do and user a Homeplug network which works
> > through you
> > power. It works very well for me.
> >
> > http://www.devolo.com/co_EN/produkte/dlan/mldlanhsethernet.html
>
> I've read reviews that give absolutely horrible reports on the
> performance of this type of unit.
>
> Do you have any real-world performance figures for your installation ?

I started out with the v1 devices and got about 10Mbps of the claimed 14Mbps.
This was too slow for a single SD stream.

I upgraded to the 85Mbps devices between my backend and frontend systems
(keeping the older devices on the network for family computers). I got about
50Mbps which is more than adequate for a single SD stream.

The next generation claims 200Mbps which should be Ok for HD even with the
marketing exaggeration removed.

> If you don't have performance numbers, how many videos have you been
> able to move at a time, have you tried HD, what distance apart are
> your units? Could you describe your setup?
>
> Do you live in 110 or 220 volt territory? (I wonder if the two
> systems have performance differences).

240.

> Sorry to be so inquisitive but this technology has the potential to
> be very useful if it works reliably.

These made Myth workable for me - I have the backend under the stairs and the
frontend is a small and silent Hauppage Mvpmc.

Phil