[mythtv-users] Hebrew Data

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 13 18:16:19 UTC 2006

On 07/13/2006 10:42 AM, Claudio wrote:
> I'm trying to display data in the video gallery in Hebrew with partial
> success
> some of my videos have plots in Hebrew which i cant see in mythfrontend
> as a readable data (just like question marks ???????) but in the
> mythconverg DB they look ok via phpmyadmin
> data that i type from mythfronend via video manager in Hebrew or acute
> Latins characters is displayed good in mythvideo gallery but in
> phpmyadmin its shows as strange characters ( שלו×)
> my database collation and character set is utf-8
> mythtv 0.18-3 on ubuntu Dapper
> ideas will be highly appreciated

I'd say upgrade to 0.19 (may not fix it, but should be a better data point).

0.19 automatically sets the database's default character set to latin1
(because some of the code in MythTV was written to assume that character
set?) so make sure you do a good backup before upgrading (some people
seem to have had issues when going from utf8 to latin1).

Note that the script to create the database does so using latin1 (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/175938#175938 ),
and now on any DB upgrade, the character set is changed back to latin1 (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/181541#181541 ).  I
don't know enough about character sets to know if it's impossible for
latin1 to work for Hebrew data, but if so, you may need to make some
patches.

Mike