[mythtv-users] Mythtv .19 live watching

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jul 13 21:13:52 UTC 2006

On Jul 13, 2006, at 2:45 PM, Isaac Richards wrote:

> On Thursday 13 July 2006 2:25 pm, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
>> The kids walking away or the dog stepping on the keyboard are only
>> problems because the design assumptions make them into problems.  I
>> get your point -- "stuff happens" -- but a robust application
>> shouldn't even see most of that "stuff" as problems.
>
> Please explain how to do live-tv in a full-disk situation (before
> starting
> live tv) without:
> a) deleting a recording the user has already said can be deleted.
> or
> b) reserving space for live-tv only (and so preventing less to be
> recorded in
> the first place, irregardless of how often someone uses live-tv).
> or
> c) just disallowing live-tv to run, even though there are programs
> that could
> be deleted, and the user obviously wants to go into live-tv.
>
> Obviously, c will have to happen anyway, if there's nothing marked as
> deletable, but it's nice to keep that from happening if at all
> possible.  I
> rather dislike b, because I want as much recorded at any given time
> as I have
> space for.
>
> Even with a ring-buffer (ie, <= 0.18), you need to have space on
> the drive
> available to start it in the first place.
>
> The problem with chunking livetv into smaller boundaries than a
> full program
> is that in the full disk situation (which should be the norm for
> most people
> after a short time of recording things), there won't be _any_
> chunks other
> than the most current one being recorded.  Everything else will
> have been
> auto-expired to make space for the next chunk.  To me, that makes
> the ability
> to keep the recording completely useless.  What use would a 5 minute
> ring-buffer be?  The minimum I'd consider chunking a live-tv
> program to would
> be 8 hours, I think.  Harddrives are cheap enough for that, anyway.
>
> Let's see, other options..  could prompt the user so that they're
> explicitly
> aware that something's going to be auto-expired when they enter
> live-tv, but
> the normal user that uses auto-expire (who always a full-drive) is
> going to
> get that message _every_ _single_ _time_ they start live-tv.
> That's not
> helpful or useful, that's annoying.  A user that deletes programs
> manually
> wouldn't ever see the prompt, but they'd almost never be in the
> situation
> where live-tv would possibly need extra space in the first place.
>
> Way I see it: if you don't want something to be autoexpired, don't
> turn it on
> [...]

It's simple math: If you record video at a faster rate than you
delete it you are going to run out of space and not be able to do
something that you want to do. That might by LiveTV or recordings.

I try and make my record and delete rates equal, as that is the only
way you are going to have a happy system, your hard drive space is
really only a buffer to hold things temporarily.

I either watch the material and then delete it, or burn it to DVD and
then delete it if I want to save it but don't expect to watch it in
the near future.

I have also found the myth_archive_job.pl script to be helpful for
moving recordings to a USB drive if I need additional space temporarily.

But the problem is identical to body weight control, if you take in
more calories than you burn you will get heavier, and no tablet or
hypnosis or positive thinking can change that.

And no amount of re-coding or design philosophy changes will make the
slightest difference in the end either :-)