[mythtv-users] hiccups loading DVB firmware: related to HD3000 troubles?

Patrick Mansfield patman at aracnet.com
Thu Jul 13 23:50:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 04:40:18PM -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 21:26 -0700, Patrick Mansfield wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 02:56:11PM -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> >
> > > I'd be willing to replace the power supply if I could believe that is
> > > likely to help, but it's a financial expense and a huge labor project. I
> > > don't want to that just because nothing else has worked, I'd like to
> > > have some reason to believe it would help, and some way to know what
> > > type of power supply might work better.
> >
> > What power supply are you using?
> >
> > I had a similar problem, I swapped a new antec SP-450 power supply with an
> > antec he-500 and HD 3000 QAM tuning started working.
>
> Urg. I have an he-500 already.
>
> When your tuning didn't work, what were the symptoms? I can tune just
> fine, I just can't capture without a lot of breaking up and stuttering.

That sounds the same as my experience.

I could tune (something close to 100% signal strength), but both live tv
and recorded would have occasional breakup or stuttering - about every 5
to 10 seconds. OTA was fine, when I could actually get signals - only two
or three channels, often dropping the signal lock.

I would try swapping hardware until it works. Maybe even try a different
HD tuner card :-/

There were also reports on pchdtv.com forums about users (apparently)
having interference from their video cards, I tried to boot my system
headless but (AFAIR) the BIOS did not like that :-(

Someone also suggested better grounding for the board (from the board to
the motherboard I guess), I did not quite follow that.

> How hard it is to replace a power supply depends a great deal on how
> much experience you have with hardware stuff. I am a software guy, so
> anything that involves unplugging and replugging, in the correct places,
> a dozen or so cables, is a risky proposition for me. I have broken
> motherboards trying to plug in IDE cables. If you're experienced with
> this kind of thing, it's easy, but if you're not, it's a difficult and
> possibly dangerous undertaking.

Yeh I have broken things swapping plugging etc., it happens eventually no
matter how careful you are. I had not ever even tried replacing the power
supply before, but it was easy, it is just screwed onto the case, there
really aren't any cables (just he he-500 pluggable ones and of course the
power cord). Given you have an he-500 ... I doubt it is your power.

And those SATA connectors sure are nice compared to IDE.

If anyone wants a SP-450 let me know :)

-- Patrick Manswfield