[mythtv-users] Spontaneous Reboot when second tuner starts recording!

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 14:33:40 UTC 2006

Hello, I have a problem that I have had no luck with solving.  This
problem has existed since I installed my PVR 500 MCE, originally on a
Fedora 4 box, now on OpenSuSE 10.1.  The system is rock solid and
stable during continuous live tv and all other aspects of MythTV with
the one exception of watching live tv and having the second tuner
start a recording.

During live tv, if the second tuner starts a scheduled recording the
system will just spontaneously reboot.  When the system is completely
rebooted the recording will continue with the recording and to get the
complete recording I must cat together the two small pieces.

If not watching live tv, all scheduled recordings proceed normally.

I can find nothing in the logs that seem abnormal to me.

I will detail my machine and supply the output of lsusb and lspci:

Custom built:
Biostar M7VIT Pro Ver 1.1
AMD Athlon XP 2000
1 Gigabyte Memory
320 Gb Disc Space (1 maxtor, 1 seagate) IDE interface
ATI Radeon 9000 AGP (128 Mb Ram)
Aureal Semiconductor AU8810 Vortex PCI Sound Card
Linksys NC100 Fast Ethernet Card

The tuner inputs are coming in on the two composite in sets of the PVR
500 MCE, External cable stb's from comcast.  Both stb's connected to
the computer through the serial ports for channel changing capability.

List of software installed (pertinent I think):

mythtv-frontend-0.19-1
mythmusic-0.19-1
libmyth-0.19-1
mythgallery-0.19-1
mythnews-0.19-1
mythtv-themes-0.19-1
mythvideo-0.19-1
mythbrowser-0.19-1
mythgame-0.19-1
mythplugins-0.19-1
mythtv-theme-Titivillus-0.20040807-4.at
mythtv-setup-0.19-1
mythweather-0.19-1
mythcontrols-0.19-1
mythphone-0.19-1
mythtv-theme-Retro-0.20051208-1.at
mythplugins-web-0.19-19
mythtv-0.19-1
mythtv-backend-0.19-1
mythflix-0.19-1
mythdvd-0.19-1
mysql-5.0.18-16.1
lirc-0.8.0-17
ivtv-0.7.0-12
ivtv-kmp-default-0.7.0_2.6.16.13_4-12

Output from lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400/KT600 AGP] Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 PCI Bridge
00:08.0 PCI bridge: Hint Corp HB6 Universal PCI-PCI bridge
(non-transparent mode) (rev 11)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys NC100 Network Everywhere Fast
Ethernet 10/100 (rev 11)
00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Aureal Semiconductor AU8810
Vortex Digital Audio Processor (rev 02)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06
)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250
If [Radeon 9000] (rev 01)
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Radeon
9000] (Secondary) (rev 01)
02:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
02:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)

Output of lsusb:

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:0040 Microsoft Corp. Wheel Mouse Optical
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0e9c:0000 Streamzap, Inc. Streamzap Remote Control
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated, this one really
has me stumped.

John
--
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org