[mythtv-users] ATSC to VBI - CC Option

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 17:33:19 UTC 2006

On 7/14/06, Greg Grotsky <spikeygg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've noticed that when I hit 'T' while watching a recording with CC info, it
> begins showing the ATSC CC.  However, these captions aren't displayed
> completely, and don't follow the selected caption font.  I can use the on
> screen menu and select VBI CC and those captions work perfectly, displayed
> entirely and with the chosen font.
>
> Is there any way to change the default caption selection to VBI from ATSC?
>
> Thanks,
> -Greg

The problem with VBI captions from some stations, is their equipment
to translate from "digital" to "analog" is so slow, that the captions
end up being several seconds behind the action on the screen.

It would be better to get the "digital" ATSC caption display fixed.
My parents have a Directv HR10-250, and it displays the "digital" ATSC
captions well -- so it is possible.

I am pretty sure than Daniel implemented the decoding of the ATSC
captions.  He has so much on his plate right now, that it will
probably be a while before he spends any more time on it --- Right
Daniel?

I rarely turn on the CC display, so I am not motivated enough to look
at it myself, at this time.

John