[mythtv-users] Mythtv .19 live watching

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Jul 15 02:17:16 UTC 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 7:07 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2006, at 7:37 PM, Alex Brekken wrote:
>
>> But you're not "running out" of storage.  That's the beauty of it -
>> it's self cleaning.  You never run out, it's not a limited
>> resource.   You have a hard drive that's devoted to Myth, right?
>> (or at least a partition)  What does it matter if it's always
>> full?  It's supposed to be full.   Believe me, the first 3 months I
>> had my Myth box setup, I spent time every few days checking my disk
>> space and deleting old recordings.  Then one day I decided to let
>> my hair down and let the drive fill up.  I've never looked back
>> since and chuckle when I think of the time I wasted managing disk
>> space.
>>
>> To each their own of course,  but I know my Myth enjoyment went up
>> after I let old habits die.  :)
>>

> That's the beauty of the system since 0.19, you can have it your way.
>
> Generally if I record something I intend to watch it, and I delete it
> after I do. To have something deleted by the system means that I
> didn't get around to watching it for quite some time, but I don't
> want even that to happen, so I just pay attention and make sure that
> it doesn't.
>
> But if it did happen the deletions would be in a logical order, with
> what is clearly of the least interest to me going first.
>
> It really is a very flexible system. I think the only problems would
> occur if somebody other than me was using the system, because
> different people have differing priorities.
>
> Fortunately I live by myself and don't have those type of problems,
> and I think the present system is far better than the one it replaced
> (0.18 and previous), at least for me.

There are 4 people in my household and I've solved the problem by
adding storage. And if it get pushed out the back end because of
space concerns, I say, "Too bad. Should have set it not to expire if
you didn't want it to expire." This used to be MUCH more of a problem
with my 80GB Tivo. Not so with my 850GB Myth box.