[mythtv-users] streaming MythFrontend to Zaurus

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jul 15 04:55:00 UTC 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 10:26 PM, David Whyte wrote:

> On 7/15/06, Ben Dash <ben_dash at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm thinking about getting a zaurus and I'd really
>> like to be able to use it with Myth, however, I'm
>> pretty sure that it's not powerful enough to run
>> MythFrontend.
>>

>> Can you capture the X display and stream that?
>>
>> Can you capture the framebuffer display and stream
>> that?
>>

> I managed to stream files to my pocket PC pda using vlc to transcode
> to a lower bitrate.  Obviously, you don't get mythfrontend for control
> or anything.
>
> VNC is another possible, though I doubt you could get the bandwidth
> for a decent video FPS.  I couldn't with a cabled LAN.
>
> So I guess I haven't told you anything new, but I wish you luck :P

I wish you luck as well, but have a suggestion.

The Zaurus is a very nice machine, I have a SL-5500 and an SL-C760,
nice toys to play with.

However, if I were buying such a device today I'd be more likely to
go for the Nokia 770, better display, faster CPU, network ready out
of the box and comes with Linux with a 2.6 kernel, and for less $$$ I
believe.

Just a thought.