[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Package Roundup

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 01:11:43 UTC 2006

On 7/14/06, Michael MacLeod <mikemacleod at gmail.com> wrote:
>      After Dapper came out a bunch of different repositories circulated with
> packages of varying quality, but none of them seemed to work flawlessly (for
> me at least). Each seemed to be missing one dependency or another, or were
> for outdated versions of mythtv. It's been a month now, so I'm wondering if
> the situation has improved. What I'm looking for are repositories for both
> 0.19.1 (or 0.19-fixes if you prefer) and reletively current packages from
> SVN snapshots, if anyone's doing that.

MythTV is doing that!  ;-]

Seriously though, getting all the dependencies worked out using a
distro's package manager, but for Myth (or a lot of other "end
products") I tend to believe that building from source is the best way
to get something to work like you expect it to.  Installing MythTV and
it's brethren (the plugins and themes) are, IMHO, actually easier to
do from source (because I don't have to worry about what a package
manager might call something, or where it looks for files, or if it
finds them...) than using precompiled binaries.

-Chad