[mythtv-users] Upgrade to 2.6.17-gentoo-r2/ivtv-0.7.0/mythtv-0.19_p9163-r1 and having problems

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 18:28:58 UTC 2006

Hi,

NOTE: I'm fine with losing access to any previously recorded video so
answers that are easiest, all the way to 'start over' are completely
OK with me. Thanks in advance!

   I've put off upgrading MYthTV until my family left for their summer
vacation. They are gone now and I've gotten started, made headway, and
hit a roadblock. I hope someone with some Gentoo background can help
me out. Thanks.

1) On the backend I was running 2.6.15-gentoo with ivtv-0.4.2 &
mythtv-0.18.1. Everything was running mostly fine. The backend has two
cards, a PVR-150 and a PVR-250.

2) I've upgraded this morning to 2.6.17-gentoo-r2 and ivtv-0.7.0.

3) I can capture good video and audio from the command line:

cat /dev/v4l/video0 > test0.mpg
cat /dev/v4l/video1 > test1/mpg

Further, I can tune each card by hand and capture video from different
channels using this sort of command stream:

ivtv-tune -c 15 -d /dev/v4l/video1
cat /dev/v4l/video1 >test1.mpg

4) At this point however the existing mythtv-0.18.1 stopped working
correctly and I couldn't get it working again. Any time I tried to
wath live TV I got 1 second of video and then it froze. In the past my
solution for that was to delete the existing cards in mythsetup and
create new ones but that didn't work today.

I decided to go ahead and do the mythtv-0.19 upgrade and deal with the
setup like it was a new machine. We don't have too much saved video
right now do if I lost access to that in Myth it is no big deal to me.

The upgrade included an upgrade of mysql. I was running 4.0.27 and am
now upgraded to 4.1.20:

dragonfly mysqld # eix -I mysql
* dev-db/mysql
     Available versions:  3.23.58-r1 4.0.25-r2 4.0.27 4.1.14-r1 4.1.20
~5.0.22 [M]5.1.7_beta
     Installed:           4.1.20
     Homepage:            http://www.mysql.com/
database server.

I have not yet tried copying the default database into place using:

mysql < /usr/share/mythtv/database/mc.sql

but likewise I did NOT backup my existing database when I upgraded mysql from

At this point I cannot connect to the database. MySQL is running, or
seems to be:

dragonfly ~ # /etc/init.d/mysql status
 * status:  started
dragonfly ~ # /etc/init.d/mythbackend status
 * status:  stopped
dragonfly ~ #

dragonfly ~ # mysql -u root mythconverg
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111)
dragonfly ~ #

What next steps might I take? It's been almost 18 months since I set
up a backend so I'm quite rusty.

Thanks in advance,
Mark