[mythtv-users] New system hardware suggestions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jul 16 20:14:26 UTC 2006

On 07/16/06 16:03, Brad Templeton wrote:

>Unless you plan to use xvmc -- in which case you can do HDTV fine on
>your old AMD 2400 system -- there is very little "performance" to be had
>from your video card.   Higher bandwidth to the card (ie PCI-e) always
>helps, but other than that you won't be use any of the graphics chip's
>fancy features, just xvideo.    So get the cheapest, slowest, lowest
>heat card you can get.    Since the AGP memory bandwidth is readily
>sufficient for HDTV, you may consider going to older gen cards and
>motherboards (except your core duo probably will only come with pci-e)
>
>The most common card people used for HDTV in the dawn was the Geforce 5200,
>a very cheap card.  It does HD just fine.  Getting more may just be wasting
>money, and generating heat.  (The slower cards can often run with just a
>heatsink, not a fan, which is also nice.)

Although OpenGL does count for something.  My GF4MX440 does the OpenGL
for the menus in the new (SVN) UI just fine, but it can't do OpenGL for
MythMusic or MythGallery at my TV's native resolution (1920x1080p)--it's
just too slow at that resolution.

So, depending on the resolution you choose, you may want more than the
minimal video card.  I don't know if a 5200 would be fast enough for the
plugins.  Others will have to chime in with their experiences.

Mike