[mythtv-users] tv_grab_au immir... defunct?

redcane at redcane.homelinux.org redcane at redcane.homelinux.org
Mon Jul 17 00:10:29 UTC 2006

>> Although perhaps it's best to try to put the effort into OzTivo instead?
>> Do
>> they accept "scraped" data?
>
> Not sure what you mean "do they accept scraped data"? The gather data
> from different sources and make it available for download to Tivo
> users and MythTV users and anyone who wants it really. The data is
> sourced in a variety of different ways, as I understand it:
>
> 1) Some automatic downloads
> 2) People manually update via the tvguide.org.au web site
> 3) People manually update via a thick client called SDE (I think)

> Take a look at http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/TVGuide/DataPolicy
> which is a brief description on the policy surroundiung the Creative
> Commons License which the data is covered under. It says "We do not
> want any data to be added to the system if it cannot be covered by
> this license" and "We are dependent on data coming in from humans, and
> to a lesser extent, on web sources".

I guess I meant, can we automate the gathering/uploading of data?
Unfortunately I think I need a lawyer to definitely answer this, because
of the way the TV networks are acting regarding the licensing of their
data.
e.g. If I get data from my DVB tuner can I submit it to oztivo under a
creative commons license? Can I fire up a web browser to ninemsn, and type
their data in? If I can do that, then can I automate it with a script that
does so? If I can automate it to upload to oztivo, why not automate it to
download to my machine?

I guess the thing is I don't believe the networks can legally prevent us
from using their data, but I don't want to go to court over it either.

I already have an account with Oztivo, but I guess I'll get it set up on
my Mythbox now, and try and figure the best way I can contribute data
without breaking any laws/rules, and without going nuts typing in days
worth of TV listings.... I don't think I can use SDE, it appears to be a
windows app, but I can probably write something to submit SDE files to
them from what Info I have.
I'm on their mailing lists now (pending approval) so I guess I'll ask on
the that list what their position is.