[mythtv-users] Mythtv .19 live watching

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Jul 17 00:17:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 08:37:41PM -0500, Alex Brekken wrote:
> But you're not "running out" of storage.  That's the beauty of it - it's self
> cleaning.  You never run out, it's not a limited resource.   You have a hard
> drive that's devoted to Myth, right?  (or at least a partition)  What does it
> matter if it's always full?  It's supposed to be full.

First of all, I don't run Myth on a dedicated machine, nor did I
buy a drive or create a partition specifically for Myth.  I use
pooled storage for several other daemons plus the Myth back-end.

Second, both 0.18 and 0.19 users have complained again and again
about the auto-expire not working and how it causes their partition
to hit 100% and kill the machine.  I therefore don't trust
auto-expire and manually manage the recorded programs.

Third (as I mentioned in a previous email), the way the system
selects which shows to expire is not satisfactory.  If I leave my
shows expire-enabled then it will delete the wrong ones (my POV)
because it looks at their age and schedule status but not the
priority I assigned to them.  Because of this, most of my search
rules record with auto-expire disabled and I end up managing the
storage myself anyway.  If (when) Myth ever gets to the point where
it can be trusted to delete shows both when required and in the
order I want then I will turn on auto-expire.