[mythtv-users] Recording and Archive Storage Approaches

Joel Turner jturner421 at aol.com
Mon Jul 17 02:21:48 UTC 2006

I appreciate all of the comments.  It's nice to know that I'm not out
in left field on this.

On another note, I've been experimenting with H.264 encoding as a way
to preserve HD content and conserve space.  My initial tests are not
very promising.  The encoding times are horrendous. I've been
converting MPEG content for several years now and x264 encoding is
about an 11:1 time ratio for encoding one minute of 1080i content to
720p on my old XP based P4 2.66mhz.  I've had the same results with
Nero Recode.  I thought that perhaps my Mac, a dual G5 2.5 with 6GB
of ram would be better, but the encoding times are still awful using
Quicktime.  I'll probably post something here when I can actually get
some repeatable results.