[mythtv-users] Taking MythTV on the road; neither SlingBox nor transcoding is ideal

Ben Dash ben_dash at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 00:45:59 UTC 2006

--- David Whyte wrote:
> On 7/18/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> > The next-best scenario
> > would be for mythbackend to, like SlingBox, be
> able to transcode
> > resolutions and bitrates down on the fly. I
> realize this ability does
> > not exist, either.

I guess you missed my huge post about how I set up
MythStreamTV yesterday.

I can now stream any of my recorded shows, in a wide
range of possible bitrates ans sizes, to any client on
the internet.  The client would be mplayer or MS
MediaPlayer.

It worked great, I had a very convoluted setup to test
a worst case scenario:

Client laptop running WinXP MS Media Player
Putty SSH tunnel localhost port 4445 running SOCKS 5
proxy client
802.11B router
10Mbps ethernet with multiple hops and SOCKS 5 proxy
server
The internet
My dyndns.org home router
SSH tunnel
port 8001 on my internal MythBackend

It works great, just like Slingbox.

I'm going to try to convince my parents, in the UK, to
set MythTV up there so we can share UK/USA TV.  I miss
UK TV.

|Ben Dash                                           |
|Ask free questions - http://bensqanda.blogspot.com |
|My Blog -    http://bensdailythoughts.blogspot.com |
|Info -  http://bensinformationstation.blogspot.com |
|Workouts -        http://bensworkouts.blogspot.com |