[mythtv-users] Motorola 6200 firewire high def artifacts - Help me debug?

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Tue Jul 18 17:09:24 UTC 2006

I'm /almost/ 100% happy with the firewire recording, except that it has
spotty and annoying artifacts on high def channels - especially when the
bitrate gets a little higher.

I have watched the analog output at the same time, and the artifacts
aren't there.  My initial thoughts are that either my system can't keep up
with the writes, or I've got a bad cable or something.

I ran hdparm -tT on all three of my drives, and they seem to be reading
just fine - I'll put the results at the end.  I'm running three Seagate
Barracuda drives - two SATA and one IDE.

Any thoughts on how I can debug this?  I'm assuming this isn't
normal/expected.

Thanks in advance!

Greg
---
alfred ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   3212 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1605.90 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  162 MB in  3.02 seconds =  53.71 MB/sec
alfred ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   4180 MB in  2.00 seconds = 2089.87 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  168 MB in  3.01 seconds =  55.85 MB/sec
alfred ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
 Timing cached reads:   4172 MB in  2.00 seconds = 2085.87 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   54 MB in  3.11 seconds =  17.37 MB/sec