[mythtv-users] Myth HD - requirements?

Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com
Tue Jul 18 18:33:40 UTC 2006

All-

I've been a Myth user since 0.14, and am currently quite happy with a
setup using 2 PVR-250s and a small, quiet frontend on our main television.
 While I'm not looking to upgrade to HDTV quite yet (it'll probably be a
year or two), I've started doing a little research, and I wanted to get
some information about what other Myth users are doing for HDTV.

First of all, how are people using Myth to record HDTV?  I see a few
mentions of the pcHDTV card, but looking at the site for the card itself,
I'm not quite sure if it's dumping the HDTV stream to disk, encoding it to
MPEG2 (like the PVR-250) for a smaller stream, or what.  It looks like a
reasonably-priced card, but I'm curious as to what alternatives I might be
missing.  Any clarification would be helpful.

I'm in the United States, so I'm wondering if US residents are worrying
about DRM on the streams now, or the possibility of it being implemented
later.

I think once it becomes time to buy a HDTV-capable TV, I can take care of
getting it connected to a Myth box, but if people want to share their
experience doing that, I'd love to read it.

Finally, any anecdotal evidence about what kind of grunt is required for a
frontend playing back a HDTV stream?

Thanks for reading.  Any advice or information would be appreciated.

-Jeff