Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Tue Jul 18 19:28:14 UTC 2006

> First of all, how are people using Myth to record HDTV?  I see a few
> mentions of the pcHDTV card, but looking at the site for the card
> itself, I'm not quite sure if it's dumping the HDTV stream to disk,

I use the pchdtv card, and play the raw mpegs back directly.  A lot
of people transcode though.

> Finally, any anecdotal evidence about what kind of grunt is required
> for a frontend playing back a HDTV stream?

I tried a lot of different combinations - the least powerful one that
worked without ever dropping frames was an AMD x2 3800.

You really don't need a lot of video power, I am using an integrated
nVidia 6100 chipset on an Asus A8N-VM board.  This board is a little
bit problematic with digital sound though - MPLAYER is the only
program that can use the S/PDIF for some weird reason, and the gigabit
ethernet port only seems to work at 100 megabits - apart from that it
rocks.

Mark