[mythtv-users] using mythtv

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 20:17:33 UTC 2006

On 7/18/06, Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I've also upgraded from 0.18.1 -> 0.19 on Gentoo recently.  It was
> painless, well except for the compiling part.  :-)  But I was able to
> upgrade a be/fe and two frontend machines within two hours.  I didn't
> even have to run the full setup again.  I would like to know how up to
> date your gentoo install was,  at least what version of gcc and c
> libraries.  Did you do an emerge sync before the upgrade?  Did you do an
>   emerge system?  The last step is not absolutely necessary, but it's
> usually easier to upgrade to newer software when the base system is up
> to date.

eix-sync
emerge -pvDuN world

then emerged mythtv

MythTV did not work for me. It would not access the existing database.

While I accept the basis of your question, and am envious that it
worked for you and Phil, the actual system implications are *somewhat*
vague since we don't know who is running purely stable, who is running
fully ~x86. or which machines, other than mine, are in the middle.

We could compare what is in /etc/portage/package.keywords (or use, or
mask, or unmask, etc..) and get a better idea.

Currently I have just done an emerge -C mythtv mythtv-themes. I am now
doing updatedb and slocate myth a few times and am clearing out every
last thing I can find except the existing database which is almost
complete.

MySQL is still running and I can log in to mythconverg from any
machine on the network:

lightning is the remote machine
dragonfly has mysql running and the mythconverg database

mark at lightning ~ $ mysql -u mythtv -h dragonfly mythconverg -p
Enter password:

Your MySQL connection id is 15 to server version: 4.1.20-log

mysql> quit
Bye
mark at lightning ~ $

If I use the wrong password I do not log in. If I use the wrong
database name I do not log in. If I use the wrong user I do not log
in. MySQL is working.

We'll see how it goes after the next emerge mythtv step...

Thanks,
Mark