[mythtv-users] 0.19 almost working (port or password problems?)

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Tue Jul 18 21:14:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 11:06:00AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> # The following options will be passed to all MySQL clients
> [client]
> port                                            = 3306
>
> while in mythtv-setup I see port 6543 listed.

The mysql server listens on port 3306.  Any other program can connect to
it via that port as long as the firewalls and access restrictions permit
the client to connect.

Port 6543 is the one that MythTV backends listen on for instructions
from clients or other backends.

There is no configuration directive where you have to tell mythtv what
port to use for the mysql server.  All you need to tell it is the
machine name (or IP address) where the mysql server can be found, and
that's initially done in the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file (for the
backend) and ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt (for frontend clients).  It presumably
uses the mysql port entry in /etc/services to figure out which port to
use.