[mythtv-users] backend only without X?

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Tue Jul 18 23:45:57 UTC 2006

> that purpose without the frontend stuff.... anyone do this without

 Seriously, why bother? On my box the mythfrontend binary with debug symbols is
around 12meg and only 1.5Meg without the debug symbols. not really much
of a savings, plus you loose some abilities on the backend without the frontend installed like preview screenshots.

> installing x on their backend?  the major hickup i see is mythtv-

 Not without a lot of pain for you. myth requires QT, QT will require X.

 However you do NOT have to have a Monitor on your backend.

 You can export your display to the other machine (even over ssh if required)
and run an X server there. (X-win32, exceed or any of the others).
OR you can run X on the backend and use vnx (x11vnc, or vncserver) to connect
and see the graphicay screen.

> setup being a gui app.  did i miss a cli way of rocking out the setup

 Nope, no commandline installer at this time. Never know,maybe one day.