[mythtv-users] Myth HD - requirements?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jul 19 01:52:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 04:31:50PM -0600, Mark Lehrer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 02:11:15PM -0700, Brad Templeton wrote:
> > > I tried a lot of different combinations - the least powerful one that
> > > worked without ever dropping frames was an AMD x2 3800.
> >
> > I've seen reports with newer codecs all the way down to athlon 2600s I
> > think.   However, I personally use a P4-3hgz.  It's more than enough, but
> > not that much more than enough.
>
> My P4 3.2 GHz is not quite enough.  I have a Dell at work that is
> 3 ghz and seems to do OK.  x2 3800 has a lot of spare cpu left.

That's very odd, I wonder why your 3.2ghz p4 fails when my 3ghz P4 has
CPU to spare, even with 1080i.   Indeed I can play 1080i while a commercial
flag or transcode runs (niced) in the background.

Are you running with the SMP kernel?   While the gain is modest, it is still
worth doing on a hyperthreading P4.

What video card do you have?  I have a 5200 geforce.   I always run at 720p
resolution as that is my TV's native res, does your TV have a higher native res?