[mythtv-users] [BUG] OSD fade causes choppiness

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jul 19 21:44:17 UTC 2006

Greg Farrell wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I've found that the fading effect of the OSD causes seconds of video
> choppiness
> and audio-breakup every time it occurs on my via sp13000. This occurs on
> every
> channel change.

<snip>
> I dare say this only manifested itself on my system because of the
> crapness of a 1.3ghz
> via cpu, but lots of others must be experiencing it too? BTW it occurs
> both with xvmc
> and normal decoding.

I get this too with my SP13000. I had presumed that this was an artifact
of the tuning process, but at lunchtime I went home and checked and
found that the choppiness disappears *instantly* if I hit Escape while
the OSD is showing. The Escape cancels the OSD which disappears
immediately, *and* the audio choppiness ceases!

I will try setting the OSD display period to something very short and
see whether the garbling stops when the OSD stops.

It appears that the OSD is overloading something somehow and the audio
handling gets shortchanged as a result.

Geoff