[mythtv-users] GUI setup using remote?

James Meyer james.meyer at operamail.com
Wed Jul 19 19:47:06 UTC 2006

> And, with that, I'll refer you to the MythDora and KnoppMyth (and ???)
> distros as I'm sure they would love to have someone help them create
> this kind of tool...  My recommendation is to concentrate first on one
> Myth-specific distro and expand as desired.
>
> > it gives people
> >somewhere to start if nothing else.  The other part of that is that
> >you make a good point.  There are a lot of tools designed to do these
> >things, just not with the way I see it in mind.  The beauty of Open
> >Source: I'll tweak those tools to my needs and see how they go.  If
> >these are dedicated MythTV systems we are using these tools on, it's
> >just a one-time use that we need, I will just have to figure out how
> >to either lock the conf files after they are tweaked, or...  I don't
> >know yet, but definitely will be brainstorming.
> >

> Yep.  Probably good to start in a distro.  The MythDora stuff could be
> used by FC users and the KnoppMyth stuff may be usable by Debian-based
> distros even if users don't use MythDora or KnoppMyth...
>
> Mike

I have written somthing similair but it is not does not use the Mythtv-gui.
My approach is to have the gui collect all the information then simply write the info out to a config file.
Then a script  parses the config file and makes the correct changes.
Each script is distro specific, but the gui is distro netural.
The config file is nothing fancy just a simply list of options.

HOSTNAME=mine
IP=127.x.x.x
ROUTE=xxx
SMB=1