[mythtv-users] 2.6.17.6 + 0.7.0 + 0.19 works!

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Jul 21 18:12:52 UTC 2006

[Bringing in ivtv-devel on this & top-posting so Hans sees it all;
he's primary devo on ivtv but doesn't read mythtv-users.]

Hans, I can make the relevant changes to the ivtv Wiki, but I'd like
you to weigh in on whether it's correct, since I don't run any of the
releases mentioned.  If so, I'll add the two paragraphs starting with
"The" below somewhere appropriate.  (And Chris, should I include your
email in some human-readable-only form?  Or a pointer to the gossamer
archive of this thread?  That way people have some idea where this
info came from & can track it back if they need to ask you something.)

    Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:04:33 -0700
    From: chris at cpr.homelinux.net

    On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 07:36:47PM -0700, .. at cpr.. wrote:
    > I downloaded Linux 2.6.17.6 and ivtv 0.7.0 but can't get them to work
    > together at all (yet).  The kernel builds and runs just fine, but when I
    > make and install ivtv I get the following:

    I solved that problem, and am now able to record using Linux
    2.6.17.6, ivtv 0.7.0 and Myth 0.19.

    The first problem was that ivtv 0.7.0 requires you to build the i2c
    and v4l modules so that it can find the PVR-250 in the first place.

    The other problem was that ivtv 0.7.0 no longer supplies the
    saa7115 driver because they are removing modules in favour of the
    Linux kernel v4l modules, but the 2.6.17.6 kernel now considers the
    existing saa7115 driver to be obsolete because it doesn't conform
    with the v4l2 spec.  What I had to do was go into the general
    options (in "make menuconfig" for the kernel) and enable the switch
    that allows for expirimental, buggy or obsolete drivers.  I then
    went to the multimedia section and selected v4l1 (*real* v4l1, not
    the v4l1 compatibility later for v4l2) and that enabled access to
    the SAA7113/4/5 module in the encoder/decoder menu.

    Perhaps someone who has a login account for the ivtv Wiki page can
    update the 0.7.0 announcement and/or HOWTO so that it includes the
    steps required to actually build 0.7.0.  The existing HOWTO is
    based on 0.4.x and has workarounds for the 0.6.x module conflicts,
    but I've been unable to find any mention of how to get 0.7.0
    running.