[mythtv-users] OT: xorg configuration for VGA to SCART converter

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Fri Jul 21 18:56:46 UTC 2006

On Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 07:20:23PM +0100, Alexander Fisher wrote:

> Hi Guys.
>
> I've built myself a VGA to RGB SCART converter.
> http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart/
>
> So far I've been unable to convince x to start with a PAL compatible SD
> modeline.  I'm using linux 2.6.17 with the latest 8762 NVIDIA driver
> with a Geforce FX5200 card.
> I've attached the config file and log generated.
>
> Any guesses to what I'm doing wrong?  Have many people here built such a
> converter?  Any horror stories of fried TVs?
> Thanks for any help,
> Alex

Well, from the log it would appear that X doesn't like the modeline
you've specified:

> (WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "768x576"; removing.

though it doesn't say why.  You should get more information on this by
increasing the logging level for X (start X with "-logverbose 4" or
higher - I'm not sure what level's needed).  That'll then list exactly
why each modeline is rejected.

With my system (using an ATI card) the detected minimum dotclock for
the card is too high to support PAL output, so I have to override this.
I've not tried with an nVidia card but they may have the same issue -
the verbose log will tell you this.

HTH,
        Robin
--