[mythtv-users] Newbie... Help Requested

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 21:20:44 UTC 2006

> Hmm, good question. I'll have to look. There may be good news though. It
> turns out I may be able to get my hands on a spare 2 gigahertz P4... needs
> RAM and a hard drive, but I could put a full size PVR150 in it... maybe
> this is the way to go instead?

You'll probably be happier in the long run with the P4 -- more slots,
easier-to-find cards, much faster database operations, etc. Plus the
extra power will give you more than enough juice to use the com
flagging and transcoding features. These would work on the P3 you were
talking about, but much more slowly.

As far as sound goes, it's a matter of personal preference. If you're
only talking about TV, the onboard sound is probably fine. I use
MythMusic a lot and have my system running through a fairly decent
stereo. Using the onboard sound, music just sounds muddy and is
accompanied by constant machine hum. With the TB card, my oggs are
damn near CD quality and there is no noticable machine noise.

Don't throw that little system away, though. If you can find a low
profile gf or fx card, it could make a nice frontend.

good luck