[mythtv-users] xorg configuratio for VGA to SCART

Murray Peterson murray at orcas.net
Sat Jul 22 10:08:18 UTC 2006

Hi Alex,

You will need a card that is capable of producing an interlaced output of
50Hz.  I have a nVidia card (a geforce4) that works really well.  There
were also reports of problems with some versions of the nVidia drivers
that would not work in interlaced modes.  I am using the 7676 release of
the drivers.

I have attached my xorg.conf below - this works on a Sony Trinitron
widescreen telly.

Regards the circuit: I haven't bothered with trying to create a composite
sync signal for for my telly.  If you are lucky your card will be able to
produce a csync signal from one of the sync outputs with a +csync
parameter on your modeline.  I cheated with mine - shorting h+v sycn gave
me a stable image, with some tearing at the top of the screen.  I sorted
this out with a low value resistor on each sync signel which has been
working fine - it could be that I just have a forgiving card & telly!

Also once you have it working, have a look at the scart
specification as it is possible to wire your cable up so that your telly
will select the video source when turned on, set the signal source
to rgb and put the aspect ratio into 16:9.

But definately do your best to get it working - it is just so so so much
better than using composite video.

# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "v4l"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Sony Television"
        ModelName    "Trinitron"
        HorizSync     10.0 - 79.0
        VertRefresh   40.0 - 90.0
        Option        "dpms"
#Modeline "pal" 14.76 768 792 856 944 576 580 583 625 -hsync -vsync interlace
Modeline "pal" 14.76 768 808 872 980 576 580 583 629 -hsync -vsync interlace
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX (generic)"
        Option      "NvAGP" "3"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"