[mythtv-users] Lirc's evil twin

Preston Crow pc-mythtv06a at crowcastle.net
Sat Jul 22 14:22:14 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 11:53 +0200, Henrik Gammelmark wrote:
> > You'll see the keyboard, mouse, and IR.  The IR acts as a keyboard input
> > by default, and you can remap the keys with various tools.  However, if
> > you use xine or mplayer, you'll want them to see different keys than
> > Myth for the same buttons, so you still need lirc.  You can do this by
> > using lirc with the devinput driver instead of the hauppauge driver.
> >
> > You'll need different /etc/lircd.conf and ~/.mythtv/lircrc files.
>
> Can you be a little more specific about these files? How do I make /
> obtain them? The first one at least...

If you Google on: ivtv devinput
You'll probably find it.

http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=remotes

I was struggling until I found that page.  Follow the instructions
there.  If you modify the /etc/lircd.conf file to use the symbols in
your old one, you don't have to modify your ~/.mythtv/lircrc file.

> > You'll also need different options starting lircrc.  On my Gentoo
> > system, my /etc/conf.d/lircd file:
> >
> > LIRCD_OPTS="-d /dev/input/event2"
>
> I presume you mean "starting lircd"?

Yes

> I have no "event2", so I tried with "event0" (the only one), but I am
> not sure this is the one, since "irw" reports nothing - dmesg however,
> reports some "unknown key: ..." log entries for every key I press.
> I tried adding the "raw" part of the keys to lircd.conf, but with no luck.

On my system, event0 and event1 are the keyboard and mouse respectively.
I'm not sure what's going on with yours; it will depend on your kernel
options; it might be event0 if it's the only driver set up to use
devinput.