[mythtv-users] mythtranscode and mythcommflag extreme CPU usage

hwertz at voltron.homelinux.org hwertz at voltron.homelinux.org
Mon Jul 24 00:01:13 UTC 2006

     I thought I'd post up a problem and solution I've found.. it's IMHO
quite weird.
     In short, I've had the problem that seems to be mentioned periodically
on mythtv-users and mythtv-dev where mythcommflag will hog CPU for a while,
and mythtranscode will REALLY hog it.  I tried using CFQ to adjust disk I/O
priorities without effect, plus using the deadline I/O scheduler and the
anticipatory scheduler; CPU nice values didn't seem effective either.  Of
course I checked hdparm and the job queue settings and they were cool too.

      Softwarewise, I'm running Gentoo with everything up to date; that
includes mythtv-0.19_p10505 (9163 had the same problem though at least with
mythcommflag).  I have a MSI Mega180 (nforce2 board..) with Athlon XP 2200+,
replaced RT2400 (802.11b) miniPCI card with RT2500 (802.11G), and a bt878
card (Hauppage WinTV).  I've been running MPEG4 recording with all 4 quality
options on (HQ, 4MV, and both interlace options).  Also, the MP3 is set to
quality 2 instead of 7 -- 7 sounds tinny and crappy to me.  I set mythbackend
to realtime priority to ensure I don't get screwy recordings.  After
mythcommflag started to act up for me (it didn't with 0.17), I threw on a
patch I found on this list or maybe myth-dev to pause commflag and transcode
jobs when recording or playback was happening (IMHO, this may still be a
good patch for very slow systems).  More recently, I switched to
rtjpeg recording so there'd be more CPU cycles for me to use while recording
and playback were happening.. but mythtranscode really kills the system, even
when not recording.  It took about 5 minutes just to bring forward an already
running top, type k and the pid of the offending mythtranscode, it was so
slow.  Load average was above 40. mouse got jerky too.. When I recovered the
RT2500 had lost it's connection too.

      My findings:
      Yes, my job queue is set to low CPU usage 8-).
      mythcommflag causes it's slowdown during the logo search only.  The
commercial flagging's framerate is governed (with the jobqueue low CPU usage
option) but the logo search isn't.
      mythtranscode isn't governed either.
      I found a solution!  I rebooted with pci=noacpi kernel option, and
everything was all beer and cigarettes... the logo search and
mythtranscode just soak up all the idle time, and the non-logo search part
of mythcommflag uses roughly 5% CPU like it used too.  Very weird too
because I've been running without this flag since I got the box... I
haven't had a hint of I/O problems even when running hdparm, find,
updatedb etc. .. The only thing that seems to trigger this is the new
mythcommflag logo search and more recently with mythtranscode. The jerky
mouse etc. I guess were due to high amounts of lost interrupts? Anyway,
there 'ya go.. this problem some people have been having isn't even
really a bug in mythtv, it's some hard-to-hit kernel or hardware bug 8-).