[mythtv-users] XvMC Prebuffering Pauses

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Tue Jul 25 04:09:11 UTC 2006

On Monday 24 July 2006 08:10 pm, Calin Brabandt wrote:

> I too have had problems with 720p.  It's strange that
> the "estimated bitrate" is higher for 1080i as it's
> not necessarily the case, in practice.  My reception
> (OTA or QAM) of ABC and FOX has the HIGHEST bitrates
> (~ 18 mbps to 19 mbps)  NBC is only about 15 mbps and
> CBS slightly less.  PBS is a measly 10.5 mbps.
>
> I'll lookup my settings for my FX-5200 based system
> when I get home.  I found a setup that minimized the
> pauses in my system, but I've found it to be very
> dependant on both Myth and FX-5200 setup.
>
> Cal

It may depend on the local station and/or the program.
I've never recorded much ABC in HD because I couldn't
play it. But simply looking at the 1hr Lost episode I recorded,
its about 6GB, when a 1HR CSI or something on CBS is almost
8GB, so clearly there's more there.  NBC is shows, ER for example
is about 5.5GB/hr.  All this is OTA receptions in the local MSP market.
I have very little info on the local Fox, but they usually split
their signal in 2 subchannels.

My working theory is I need to fool Myth into thinking its got
a 8GB/hr bitrate, so it sizes the buffers everything accordingly.
Maybe far off base...

Brian