[mythtv-users] Permissions problem

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 25 17:16:49 UTC 2006

On 07/25/06 12:50, A Desai wrote:

>  On 7/25/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> > On 07/23/06 23:28, A Desai wrote:
> >> [root at localhost ~]# ls -adl /usr/local/media drwxr-xr-x+ 8 root
> >> mythtv 96 Jul 5 21:27 /usr/local/media
> >>
> >> [root at localhost ~]# ls -adl /usr/local/media/tv drwxr-xr-x+ 2
> >> root mythtv 8192 Jul 23 17:24 /usr/local/media/tv
> >
> > As indicated by the "+" after the permissions, you have an ACL
> > (Access Control List) set on your directories (probably put there
> > by Windows).
> >
> > http://security.linux.com/security/04/07/28/1746258.shtml?tid=23&tid=35
> >

> > What happens with something like:
> >
> > setfacl -b /usr/local/media/{,tv}
>
>  After I did setfacl -b /usr/local/media, it gave me: drwxr-xr-x 8
>  root mythtv 96 Jul 5 21:27 /usr/local/media

Once again, not the command I gave you.

>  But when I checked ls -ald /usr/local/media/tv, it still gave me the
>  plus ...which told me that it wasn't recursive.

Nope.  It's not.

>  So I did the setfacl
>  command, but on /usr/local/media/tv/*
>
>  Then I thought I would make it recursive to everything, since I was
>  having a problem watching live TV due to this problem. So I did:
>
>  setfacl -b -R /usr/local/media/*

The command I gave you would have blanked the ACL from /usr/local/media
and /usr/local/media/tv.  The files in /usr/local/media/tv didn't have
ACL's, so you just needed to blank the ACL on /usr/local/media/tv. But,
it sounds like you got it with your commands.

BTW, I had hoped that after I had edited 3 of your posts to correct your
top-posting to the list-preferred bottom or inline posting, you would
have gotten the hint.  Since I had to correct this one, too, I'll just
mention explicitly that this list prefers bottom or inline posting.

http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List_etiquette

Thanks,
Mike