[mythtv-users] mythtv keeping recordings of everything i watch?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jul 26 01:45:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 03:44:37PM -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Tell that to my 9 year old who only watches TV when she's bored and
> isn't very discriminating about what she watches. Sure, she has her
> favorite shows she records to make sure there's something there to
> watch, but sometimes she gets bored with those and likes to flip on
> Nick or the Disney Channel, etc. and watch whatever happens to be on.
> LiveTV makes that easy for her. You can't tell a 9 year old, "You
> don't grasp the concept of MythTV. You're using it wrong." when she
> is watching TV just fine in her eyes.

I'm not sure you can tell a 9 year old much of anything.

Though in fact, over time I expect they will come to understand,
and be smarter about it than their parents.   The web is for
surfing and randomly looking for something interesting.  The
TV box is for sitting down for a program.    That could well
become the attitude of the future.

I stopped most surfing when I moved to Tivo (which is much faster
at it than my myth box) and almost entirely when I moved to myth.
In party the fact that Myth sucked at actual surfing -- with multi-second
channel change times, forcing me to move it to surf only listings --
helped with that.   Now I surf perhaps once every few months.
Really don't miss it.    Of course not everybody is exactly like me,
but there's the potential for a shift here.