[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this (overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Paul Wheeler paulrwheeler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 16:50:56 UTC 2006

On 7/26/06, Peter Watkins <peterw at tux.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 11:43:51AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > On 07/26/06 10:31, George Nychis wrote:
> >
> > >I have 2 shows recording back to back...
> > >
> > >First show: 5:00pm-5:30pm
> > >Second show: 5:30pm-6:00pm
> > >
> > >Both shows are on the *same* channel.
> > >
> > >If I set the first show to end 1 minute late, and I have only 1 tuner,
> > >is mythtv smart enough to put the 6:00pm-6:01pm minute into both recordings?
>
> You mean the 5:30pm to 5:31pm minute, right?
>
> > Nope.
>
> This happens to me nearly every week, as my general settings are something
> like start 2 minutes early and end 2 minutes late, and I do have a pair of
> back-to-back shows regularly scheduled for recording.
>
> It stinks when I want to watch the recording of Second Show before watching
> the recording of First Show only to discover that Second Show started a little
> early. Watching the beginning of Second Show means jumping through First
> Show, which usually spoils a number of plot devices in First Show. Even when
> I do watch the recordings in order, if Second Show started early (or on time),
> I have to deal with the "break" being in the wrong spot.
>
> If Myth should expect the same data for both recordings (e.g., both are
> HDTV, or both use the same recording profile), then I think Myth ought to be
> smart enough to copy/splice the overlap video into both recordings and only use
> one tuner. At least for schedules that are driven by program guide data (vs.
> VCR-style hard-coded date/time schedules), this should work really well.

I have for a long time wanted something like this. However i think the
difficulty comes in 'splicing' the overlapping time. From my
understanding of the various formats this would be difficult on all
non mpg2 recordings and even on mpg2 recordings (where i believe you
can join together by literally 'cat'ing the files together) you then
have issues about how much of the file do you 'paste' on to the end of
the first recording as this will be a variable size (iirc mpg2 uses
variable bitrates).

It is these problems that unfortunately make a very simple idea
extremely non trivial as such i have never looked into it at all or
asked others about it as it is extremely unlikely anyone will have the
time/effort to code it up for what is a minor 'defect'.

Paul