[mythtv-users] Switch to enable "TiVO" like experience? WAS Re:mythtv keeping recordings of everything i watch?

Jafa hdtv at silicondust.com
Wed Jul 26 23:27:14 UTC 2006

Chad wrote:
>>           I come from the Tivo world, and I find the Mythtv LiveTV
>> behavior to be very useless. Meaning, if I simply turn off the
>> TV and fail to exit to the Menu or turn off the Mythtv
>> frontend, I end up with somewhere around 30G of LiveTV
>> recordings (including the Paid Advertising spots that repeated
>> at 3,4,and 5am) before I ever make it back to the boob tube.
>> This is a lot of disk to some people! Could be upwards of 1/4th
>> of their storage.
>>

> A cap was recently commited by Isaac that auto "ends" a LiveTV
> recording after 8 hours of recording (and starts another).  This could
> be added to the "LiveTV options" screen an changeable (to accomodate
> those that want a 30 min "buffer", and those that will die without the
> 8 hour "buffer" currently in place).

It sounds like the more interesting configurable number would be the
expiration time for a live recording (currently 24 hours from start of
recording?).

A "always record" option combined with a short expiration time (say 30
minutes from *end* of recording) could be useful for people who want
TiVo like rewind of a live TV program they started watching half-way
through.